And yet more research

Dear Dialog,

The last two weeks have been filled with more research and data management! Recently, our server, where I keep all my in situ and completed projects, has started to fill up to the brim. After inquiring with Catherine about what to do about this problem, she suggested doing some spring cleaning on my files. I went through and deleted all of my data that were raw files and PDS release products (images that could be redownloaded from the HiRISE and CTX websites at any time). Lo and behold over 200GB of space cleared up! I was holding onto more data than I previously thought. That being said, the files themselves were very neat and orderly. I have been really proud of myself for how organized I have been with these files since starting my masters project. All of my files are in easy to locate and intuitive (to me at least) places.

Another thing that has been accomplished in the last two weeks was script writing! I revamped one of my old scripts to now accurately project CTX images in the right schema so they load into ArcMap correctly. Previously, I had to rely on the USGS website to preprocess the images for me but seeing how their website goes down from time to time (looking at you government shutdown) I thought it best to update the script to be functional and independent of outside sources. Additionally, I created a second script that will create CTX DTMs for me! I am pretty proud of this one because it takes a process that I would usually need to babysit the computer for and makes it all automated. Just press a button and 2 hours later, a fresh baked DTM is hot and ready! This process combines isis, gdal, bash, parallel processing and the Ames Stereo Pipeline. Pretty neat, I think! Check it out below or on GitHub.

#! /bin/bash

ctx_list=$(ls *.IMG | sed -e 's/\..*$//')

set -- $ctx_list echo

echo ----- Images to be processed -----

for f in $ctx_list;

do

echo $f

done

echo ----------------------------------

echo

echo Preprocessing...

echo

for ctx_image in $ctx_list;

do

echo Processing file: $ctx_image.IMG

echo " $" mroctx2isis from=$ctx_image.IMG to=$ctx_image.output.cub

mroctx2isis from=$ctx_image.IMG to=$ctx_image.cub

wait

echo " $" spiceinit from=$ctx_image.input.cub

spiceinit from=$ctx_image.cub

wait

echo " $" ctxcal from=$ctx_image.cub to=$ctx_image.cal.cub

ctxcal from=$ctx_image.cub to=$ctx_image.cal.cub

wait

echo " $" ctxevenodd from=$ctx_image.cal.cub to=$ctx_image.eo.cal.cub

ctxevenodd from=$ctx_image.cal.cub to=$ctx_image.eo.cal.cub

wait

echo

echo

done

echo ----------------------------------

echo

echo Generating DTM...

echo

echo " $" cam2map4stereo.py $1.eo.cal.cub $2.eo.cal.cub

cam2map4stereo.py $1.eo.cal.cub $2.eo.cal.cub

echo " $" parallel_stereo $1.map.cub $2.map.cub results/out

parallel_stereo $1.map.cub $2.map.cub results/out

echo " $" point2dem results/out-PC.tifpoint2dem results/out-PC.tif

echo "Removing extra files"

rm $1.cub

rm $1.cal.cub

rm $1.eo.cal.cub

rm $1.map.cub

rm $2.cub

rm $2.cal.cub

rm $2.eo.cal.cub

rm $2.map.cub

echo Done!

echo ----------------------------------

exit 0

Other than that, I’ve been chugging along in making more projects. So far I have about 6 or so projects in the works. I have moved on to craters that are more degraded than previously and it takes me longer to decide what is what. But it is definitely a good challenge! I’ll update you on when I finish them, Dialog.

-W